Saturday, February 9, 2013

Musings about culture and my first earthquake



I thought that this weekend I would write a bit about the new culture of which I am becoming accustomed.
To put it simply, Ecuador’s culture is full of complexities and intricacies that I was not expecting. I will begin with the family unit. Here in the mountain region, sierra, the people are conservative and somewhat reserved. 

The typical Ecuadorian familial roles are as follows:

Father: Worker, leader of family, and at times, distant.
Mother: Takes care of all things within the house. Cooks, cleans, organizes, serves, and loves. In my family, my mother also works 2 jobs.
Kids: Taken care of by mother. Have chores but nothing in comparison to mother.

My family here in Ecuador bucks the stereotypical family in a few ways. My mother works two jobs. She is an elementary school teacher as well as a secretary at the church that my family attends. She cooks dinner when she returns home from the very long day of work. In regards to chores, the family divides the chores amongst themselves. After meals we wash our own dishes and pitch in with anything else that is needed. Every weekend we have a deep cleaning session. We all wash clothes, clean our rooms, sweep and mop the floors, garden, weed, feed animals, and other random household chores that come up. Personally, I like this type of environment. It feels similar to my life in the States. Many other volunteers have a host mother that waits on the men and the volunteers hand and foot and I think I would be uncomfortable in the role.

My host dad is a truck driver. He drives to Guayquil and other cities of export during the week. The family only sees him one or two days a week. This does not take away from their relationship however. The family is very tight knit and keeps in contact constantly. My host family has two kids that live in the house. They go to a private school in Quito nearly an hour away. They get on a bus around 6:00 am and return around 2:00 pm. When I return from training they are usually hanging out watching the Simpsons after completing their chores.
 
Meals are a whole story to themselves. Fresh juice is served with every meal. I do not think I have had the exact same juice twice. The family eats all meals together. It is considered taboo, at least in my family, to eat alone. This has been a major adjustment for me. For breakfast we typically eat bread, coffee, juice and maybe some fruit. Rice is never out of the question. Our breakfast is small because my host mother is on the go to get to her job. Lunch is the largest meal of the day. A usual lunch a combination of the following: potatoes, juice, chicken, beans, fresh fruit, and as with every meal, rice. Dinner is much smaller, consisting of soup, rice, and potatoes. It is also served near bedtime. I have learned the hard way that one should overeat at lunch to last until dinner time. The food overall is very bland. If you know me well, you know how important to me this is. I can barley handle salsa in a TexMex restaurant so I was delighted to hear that my host country’s food would be without spice. This is not to say that you cannot make your food spicy. A salsa, Aji, is served alongside every meal. I tried this one time, and spent the rest of the evening coughing, drinking milk, and overall feeling rough. For the most part, I enjoy the food. The diet is much healthier here than in the States. There are no preservatives put in any of the food bought at normal stores. Of course, you can find typical American food but it is much more expensive and at times past the expiration date.

Now on to my first earthquake... This morning I was working on an assignment and began to feel a strange rocking in my room. At first I thought it was someone running on the roof and shaking the house. After it did not stop for 30 seconds I put everything down and held the bed. It was moving along with the other things in my room. It was not violent at all. It simply felt like I was on a boat with small waves rocking the house. My host brother asked if I felt that and I responded that I did. Soon after the “temblor” I got several texts from the Peace Corps about it and checking if I was alright. It was a different experience but I was never really in danger. My family took the opportunity to explain what to do in case of a large quake that hit close to home which I appreciated. It turns out the earthquake was very strong, 7.0 magnitude, but it was very deep in the earth so the effects were not as severe.
 I feel this would be on my mind for a long time if this occurred to me in the States, but here it is just another new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment